Sunday 22 September 2013

Snail Hotels

Okay I have a confession to make. I like these little alien creatures. I mean what's not to love about that face!


But unfortunately my veggie garden and these little guys can't coexist together.  And I also have a really hard time squashing them too.
I have fed them dishes of beer, which they love very much and I imagine them dying happy and well inebriated, but it's hard to keep the dishes topped up and rather horrible having to scoop out the drowned snails and slugs in the morning.
So I have come up with a better solution; Snail hotels!
1) Snails like to hide under things, so if you over turn a pot in the garden and leave it, there is a good chance that snails will make it their home.
2) I also worry about how snail bait affects my worm population. And once it gets wet, it deteriorates fairly quickly.
So what I did was simply to put snail bait in a dish and over turn a pot over it.



You leave the snail enough room to get in under the pot and place these in areas that you know snails hide out. For added weather protection you can use a bit of twig or stick to block the hole in the pot. The snail bait stays dry and when the sails find this new home they have a last meal waiting.
About the only thing you have to remember with these is to top them up and also watch out for those pesky spiders, they like moving into these as well.
I also use an environmentally friendly snail bait, one that does not harm birds, dogs and cats. and I still sprinkle it around new seedlings, just till they are large enough to survive a hungry snail who is after a snack on his way to the hotel.
 So there you have it. I still don't like killing them but I do want my veggies. At least this way I can keep them under control.


No comments:

Post a Comment