Sunday 8 September 2013

Worm Stations

Okay this is another one of those ideas that you find on the internet, as you do.
Worm stations; The idea is simple, you bury a pipe of bottomless container, with a lid, in the ground and use this as a worm farm/compost type system.
Now I do have my bathtub worm farm, but I very rarely take material from the top, because the worms are always still munching away on it, even though I change the sides I feed them on. I mainly use the liquid that comes from the bottom of the tub. So I thought that this was a great idea to get my worms out there into my garden.
The worms I have are tiger worms, they like compost and won't just live happily in soil, they need lots of decaying goodness to munch on, hence making them these feeding station.
So I took some old pots that I have and knocked the bottoms out of some, others already didn't have a bottom. and set up my stations, using terracotta pot bases as lids.



These were set up over winter and I am happy to say that the worms are still there munching away and they seem to be working will so far.
The big test will be over the warmer months. I am interested to see if they have a big effect on plant growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment