Saturday 14 September 2013

Companion Planting.

I have always been interested in companion planting, ever since I started gardening. The idea of plants working together or against each other I find fascinating.

Today I gathered plants to put under my nectarine tree; Sweet violets, tansy, pyrethrum and chamomile. I have already planted garlic and am planing on planting a couple of strawberry plants under there too.
All of these are meant to help the three stay free of pests and help nourish it too. The ground around this tree can get quite dry and hydrophobic during summer and I am hoping these plants will act like a living mulch and keep the ground shaded and moist.

I also planted mint around my blackberries. It doesn't actually affect the blackberries themselves but it is meant to confuse harmful insects with their strong sent. I did find out though, that mint makes parsley grow better, which is great because the blackberry patch already has a great crop of parsley.

I am still leaning new things all the time about this subject and hopefully me garden with thrive on that knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment