Sunday 8 September 2013

Spring is hitting hard already!

Winter has been quite mild here, but we still got some good rain with it which was really nice, the ground is nice and saturated.
Now it seems we are getting an instant spring. The weather is already really warming up fast. We usually don't start planting some of the more frost tender plants till October but there has been no hint of frost and I am nervous that we will be heading into an early and hot summer, so I am getting suck in with my planting now, just in case.
My strategy is to plant things as close as possible this year, utilising smaller areas and keeping things well mulched.
If it gets too hot too fast I will have to abandon the annuals and just concentrate on the trees and berries.

I have already gotten into the blackberries and cleaned them up.




The lemon balm has self seeded in a couple of places and I want to plant some other mints in this bed too. I have left some weeds behind too. Dandelions, small oxalis and a type of broad leaf grass that is great for insect photography.
There is a nice crop of self sown parsley on the right and I want to add some other herbs too.

I took a risk and planted a herb garden this winter, shifting rosemary bushes and sage into a new bed and adding other culinary herbs.


The larger bushes have all seemed to have taken and it already looks good. I will add some basil to this plot, Winnie is using a lot of it in his cooking.



The raspberries are still getting cleaned up. It's hard to believe we ate the last fruit off of them only a month ago, I trimmed the last cane the other day.
I have planted veggies in the corner. It's a nice sheltered spot with really good soil and until the veggies take over this spot completely I will utilise the space as much as I can.


The lone boysenberry is till in the other corner. You can't see it very well because it's being dwarfed by the giant parsley bush and the pineapple sage that managed to survive last summer.
There are raspberry suckers coming up all over this patch and I'm not sure how well they mix with  the boysenberry, so I might have to shift it.

Well that is what is happening for now. the rest of the garden looks like a jungle and the weeds are huge. My mad weeder (winnie) has been working hard, but there is still a lot to do.
We are still planing out the new berry beds and the place for the lemon tree, that's going to be the big project this year and I will leave it for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment