Tuesday 27 November 2012

WORMS!!!

If you have been reading this blog, you may have seen me refer to worm juice. Well I thought I would post the production center, where it is made. This is one of my favorite places in the garden.


My worm farm is made out of an old fiberglass bath tub, located under two very shady trees.
There are small air holes drilled about half way up, for ventilation and to stop things going stagnant. The tub itself is half filled with gravel, that is topped with shade cloth. The worms live on top of this and are insulated with fibered carpet underlay and a couple of tubs for extra weather protection.
I have a container under the tub to collect the liquid which is produced when it rains or I water the worms in warmer weather. The white container you can see on the left is where I store it when not using it.


Insulation from rain and heat is one of the most important things.


We feed them all kitchen scraps, except citrus or any of the onion family, they don't much like those. They do get some of the garden scraps and also the leaves off the trees in autumn, that fall in the tub.
I love my wormies and am hoping to never have to buy any artificial fertilizer again, with these little guys in production.

No comments:

Post a Comment