Saturday 10 November 2012

Berries, Berries and more Berries


Okay I have gone a bit over the top with berries this year. Last year my mum gave me some raspberry off shoots and this year they have come into their own.



They are flowering a treat this year and now we have put the bird netting up I can see us feasting on raspberries.

I have also planted a boysenberry. I didn't expect any fruit off it this year, it's just a stick so far, but it did flower and now there are 12 berries on it! I also noticed today there is a new ground shoot coming on.
I was also surprised how pretty the flowers are.


Strawberries are another thing we have on the go. Some of these plants are quite old and we have some suckers and even seed plant in this lot too.

We added the bird netting and have been combating the slaters/pill bugs and snails for the fruit. I have come up with some solutions for those which I will post separately.
We are getting some yummy fruit now though.





Another thing I have been excited to try are currants red and black. I remember the blackcurrant bush we had a kid and I wanted to try these plants for a while. I am not sure how they will do here but so fare they are growing great.

The blackcurrant.


With all it's new growth.



And the redcurrant


With it's chamomile companion.


The blackberries I have already posted in another section.
So that is it for the fruit so far. I don't think I will get any currants but the rest should keep us busy this summer.





No comments:

Post a Comment