Saturday 12 October 2013

Latest Mosaics Project.

I have been working on this on and off for the last few months, as time allows.
I have had two old cement plinths in my garden for years. They come from the farm where I grew up and are possibly older than I am. On was broken in half, the other intact and I had plans to mosaic them for a long time now and finally I am getting them done.



I cleaned both of them up with the high pressure water sprayer we have and I glued together the broken one with tile glue.
These things were turned out from molds on mass and are about as square as a dogs hind leg, so I have had to fiddle around with the design quite a bit.
I wanted something that was art deco in look, using very few colours and a simple design. I sketched out some ideas but putting the design together has been a very organic proses. Basically I have been making it up as I went along. 
I used mainly floor tiles for this and they are an absolute pain to cut, so I have to thank Bruce, my teacher, for doing the cutting for me. Also Lynda for getting the idea juices flowing for the side designs.
Anyway this is where I am up to now.




I still have to place the side pattern on one and then finish the line work. The filling in will be done in the same white that I have at the top.

8 comments:

  1. That is gonna be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, I am really pleased with the way they are tuning out so far.

      Delete
  2. I love how you made the top look like a flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The design just seemed to work itself out. I originally just saw a fan shape from the center, but the shape of the tiles worked so well to form the flower shape.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that's so pretty Rose! And I love how you are using something from the farm that you grew up on, so there would be a lot of sentimental attachment to it as well. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nirar. It's nice to give these things a new lease on life and nice that they have a history too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The range and scope of your talents never ceases to amaze me. Do you fix automobiles and do plumbing as well. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rich. Cars no, have done some minor plumbing though and am handy with a screw driver. LOL

      Delete