Saturday 12 December 2015

My Spinning Wheel Timeline.

In August this year I joined the Adelaide Hills Spinners and Weavers Guild. I think it's one of the best things I have ever done. I have not missed a meeting yet and just love the atmosphere and have met so many great and very knowledgeable people.
One of the added bonuses of joining this group has been reconnecting with Ron Doley, the man who made my spinning wheel. I joined the guild just in time to help celebrate his 95th birthday.
It got me thinking of the time line of my wheel. I calculated that I was probably around 13-14 years old, which brings my wheel to around 33-34 years old, which is not a bad innings at all.
Another reason for joining the guild was that on returning to spinning I started looking things up on the internet. (Not something I have had in the past when spinning.) There was just so much there that I did not know about. Washing fleece before you spun it. Dyed and mixed fibres. Chain plying. The list went on. When I first started spinning; you took a fleece, carded it to separate the fibre and remove any vegetation. Then you spun it, grease dirt and all, washed it and then you had wool for what ever you wanted.
Since I have gone back to spinning; I have washed fleece, spun coloured roving, spun alpaca, made myself wool combs, spun silk and learned about other fibres. I think chain plying is one of my new favorites skills out of all of that.
I am hoping to learn a great deal more in the new coming year.

Hand painted roving from Kathy's Fibres. Colourway Naruce


A work in chaos. 


No comments:

Post a Comment